Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Lookin' Good!

(The slideshow above is of today's appointment. I can't figure out how to get it and the narrative together in the same post.)

Today was Scruffy's follow-up appointment with Dr. B. Three weeks after the laser surgery. He seems to be pretty much back to himself, although he's been off alone more than usual - for some reason, he's taken to huddling on the love seat downstairs, despite the cold.

So, Dr. B. was very happy with Scruffy's eye. There is a noticeable area - perhaps 1/4 of the size of the melanosis - of dark brown tissue at about 5:00 on his iris. This, the doctor felt, is most likely burned tissue left from the laser itself; he thinks that it may eventually be sloughed off. There is also - apparently invisible to the naked, non-professional eye - a small area of tan-ish tissue, which is the actual remains of the tumor, I believe he said. He was very happy with the "regression" of the melanosis, and said that it is somewhat likely/possible that it might regress even more over the next few weeks. It was a very good sign that the regression started during the procedure. He is convinced - though there's no way to prove it- that the growth was malignant, but doesn't feel that there is anything that needs to be done about it, unless the area would regrow rapidly or significantly; laser surgery could be done again, presumably. He felt that check-ups using xrays or MRI or whatever to search for more melanomas would be more risky to Puffer than helpful. A concern with iris melanosis is the possible development of glaucoma, and he again checked the pressure in Scruffy's eye(s) - 15 in the right eye, 16 in the left eye (where the melanosis was). Both are good numbers and indicative of no pressure problems. Dr. B did say that, had there been an indication of glaucoma at the previous appointment, he would not have done the surgery, but would have recommended enucleation. (And because of my awful experience with my beloved Black Kitty, I would have agreed, sadly - I would never want another cat to go through what Black did because I didn't understand the treatment options.) Dr. B. feels that Scruffy's procedure was very successful, and that the eye appears to be healing, although there is some inflammation still. "Mild uveitis"? (The directions they gave me only included medicating the eye for two weeks, and, instead of calling and asking if I should continue, I just quit using them. I feel really bad about that.) He has re-prescribed the flurbiprofen drops for 4 more weeks and as needed after that, and the atropine ointment every other day for 10 days. Contrary to their warnings, Scruffy had absolutely NO reaction to the atropine ointment, but he certainly hates the flurbiprofen. (Sounds like a cartoon name, doesn't it?) His pupil is a little distorted, which will probably not change, but isn't likely to cause him much trouble. And he is likely to be sensitive to light, which the atropine is supposed to help with - it will encourage the pupil to change sizes so that adhesions don't develop. He also said to watch for something like brown "glitter" floating around in the eye - it's a sign of something bad, but I don't remember what.

Other general information - the procedure took about 40 minutes. I thought that was a long time; the doctor thought it was pretty quick, considering how many times he had to apply the laser. (Five, I think he said.) And they did check his blood pressure during the surgery- 115, 90, and 80. Dr. B. said anything under 150 they regarded as being acceptable. They checked his glucose level, too, but I don't remember what it was - I think it's in the previous post, anyway. There was some discussion about the fact that he wasn't their most cooperative patient - I don't know what happened to my laid-back kitty who loved everybody and was so pleasant.

We slid him in and out of the carrier in his kitty pi - boy, that makes it so easy. He just sits in it while everybody does whatever to him. And then, after he slid back into the carrier, he hissed and spit three times at the technician standing beside the table. Just to let her know that her efforts were NOT appreciated, I guess.

I had taken my camera along because I wanted a picture of the doctor using this fascinating machine to look into Scruffy's eye. I hadn't said anything to Dr. B about taking a picture, because I was just going to take it without a flash, which wouldn't bother anyone. Only, the stupid camera - I pushed the button with the lightning bolt picture on it, which I believe is the Controller of the Flash, and when I took a picture - after they'd turned off the room lights so they could look at Scruffy's eyes - the stupid flash flashed. Dr. B and Scruffy and the two technicians all jumped. I felt so dumb. Haven't looked at the pictures yet - but I will put his picture here. I don't think I got a very good shot of the interesting eye machine, unfortunately, and it'll be quite a while, probably, before I take a picture of Scruffy's poor eye.

The next appointment, barring complications, is January 13 at 2:00. Now I won't have to worry about the appointment card falling off the fridge and disappearing forever.....

No comments: