Saturday, October 11, 2008

He's feeling better.

Got the little bounce back in his step, his ploofy tail's waving in the air, and - while he didn't eat much this morning after the Metacam-laced "teaser meal" - he enthusiastically gobbled down the treats where his antibiotics were hidden. This ordeal is turning me into a really deceitful person. My whole day is devoted to figuring out innocuous-seeming actions that will result in medication being delivered to his mouth or his eye without his expecting it.

I checked his bg level this morning - 91, after no food or water from 1:30 AM. Given the stress of the cone, the medication, the isolation, the presumed pain and everything else, 91's a pretty good number. I'll take it. The next problem to come up is that he hasn't pooped since Monday, the day before the surgery. I'm NOT accustomed to being interested in who's leaving what in the litter box, so this is a whole new world for me. I did get Miralax yesterday while I was out, but I'm hesitant to use the recommended 1/4 teaspoon because his water intake is restricted. I do squirt a little water in whenever I can, but he's not much interested in water in general, even when he isn't wearing a cone. I add water to his food, but..... He is peeing, so I supposed that's a good sign.

He looks brighter and happier this morning. He rarely gets off the bed, and he's chosen to spend most of his time in the kitty pi (there are two for him to use) that's on the heated cat mat, so I guess he's cold. I've been keeping the room dark and as calm as it can be with five other cats sitting at the door for vast quantities of time - everyone wants in, for a variety of reasons: The Girls think it's THEIR room and they want it back, and please fill up our bowls with Kitten Chow RIGHT NOW; Milk wants to snuggle up with the Puffer, which I considered letting him do, but I don't know if Puffy's up to it. Busy wants in because he's a pain in the neck and there's absolutely no reason he needs to be in there, and Burble would like to get the pi with the heated mat back again - he was using them last week. And Burble and Minnie have perfected a sort of harp duet - they sit at the screen door and pluck, plink with one claw, over and over, endlessly, until I want to scream. Or squirt someone.

Still no sign that Scruffy wants to scratch that eye, even when the cone's off. Yesterday, he groomed himself for almost an hour. (Hairball city is probably coming up.) But he never went anywhere near his eye. I am SO looking forward to taking the cone off on Tuesday, although I don't know if there's a criteria for doing it. The directions from the hospital just said to wear it 1 week and then "as needed." And I just reread the constipation part of the instructions; I guess I'm gonna have to get the miralax into him somehow. (When I gave him his actual "breakfast", he sniffed at it, and then went over, and climbed into his pi with his back to me. Wouldn't touch the stuff. I refilled with Tender Beef FF, and no Miralax, and he ate about 1/4 can.

All in all, feeling better as the days go on. I can't see anything around the edge of his eye yet, because the atropine makes the pupil so huge, so I can't tell if the tissue is "regressing" any more or not. I am going to take my camera to the follow-up appointment just for general purposes.

No comments: