Saturday, July 14, 2007

Using R

I DON'T WANT TO USE BOOSTERS. I said that from the beginning, and here I am. On the other hand, maybe if I had started Levemir that way, we'd have made big progress now. Yeah, right.

After Scruffy's dental on July 11, I was determined to try everything to get him into good numbers, and to get one of those elusive bg charts that look like a hammock that everyone else has. So, once again - I think this is the third time, the other two being during the two and a half years we used BCP PZI - I'm adding a small amount of R to almost every shot. The pattern in the past has been that it looks pretty good for the first day or two, and then it starts to seem like the R is causing its own rebound, with the high flat numbers. The good thing about this time is that Levemir does have the ability to get him into good numbers, much more than PZI ever did, so I'm trying to be hopeful.

So far, this is the fourth day of R. Not a whole lot of improvement. I have - stuck away in another notebook someplace - a detailed chart of what a variety of R dosages produced in the way of BG levels in Scruffy. It could be that using half a unit isn't nearly enough, since as I recall it took a whole unit to get him down consistently into a range where BCP could take over. But, and this is sad - I have to admit that last night in the middle of the night, when I tested him and he was at 324, I was actually relieved. Too much stress these days with Milkshake and the seizures; I don't have the energy to be stewing about hypo watches.

I guess I should either go and hunt up that previous data about R, or do another set.

And another thing: I want my emoticons here.

No comments: