Wednesday, July 4, 2007

A trip to the vet

June ended, FINALLY, and July began, and Scruffy's numbers were still the pits. So, we went to the vet on 7/2. Whenever. The only thing that appeared to be wrong was the horrendous condition of his teeth. I had intended to have a dental done on him back in March, but his herpes was quite bad, so I put it off. The bloodwork had been done then, and it was all good. At this appointment, he had pockets of redness/blood surrounding many of his teeth. Although I hadn't noticed him having trouble chewing, he was doing a weird picking-up-clumps-and dropping-them thing that he doesn't normally do. The vet was not particularly enthusiastic about doing the dental, for some reason. (Maybe because Scruffy's developed a real aversion to him, with lots of hissing and spitting and scratching?) He mentioned the possibility of problems with anesthesia with older cats; we don't know how old Scruffy is. But he did eventually agree to do the dental next week, and when I requested antibiotics - because I wanted to see if it made a difference in his numbers to have the infection treated, he reluctantly gave me clindamycin. I don't really understand his questioning doing the dental, to be truthful. He did the last one.....

When I complained about the horrible glucose levels we've been seeing, the vet announced that he thought I should do a curve. Because "spotchecks are useless." Well, yeah, but I do "spotchecks" 7 or 8 times a day..... I could be the Queen of One Touch Ultra Strip Usage. And he's never mentioned curves before. Anyway, I did a curve yesterday, just for him. There was a noticeable improvement - not good numbers, but better - over a couple of days ago when I did a whole mess of testing, so I'm going to print out and give him copies of both days. I am very glad that I didn't just wait to start treating the infection until the dental was done.

No comments: