Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Something's going on.

I don't know what or why, but there seemed to be a distinct change in Scruffy's response to Levemir. Not that I'm complaining - except that the drastic drops I was seeing seemed to only occur in the middle of the night. He's been below the 50 that I've decided is my bottom line a number of times; the middle-of-the-night that he had the 28, he hopped up on my lap with absolutely no indication that he was so low. I've actually given him laxatone to bring him up on two different occasions. And I hardly know what amount to shoot any more- the 1.5 and 2.0 dosages - and sometimes even 1.0! - now appear to be way too much.

And his ears are bothering him again. I think, probably because of the clindamycin he had prior to and after the dental in July. (Not complaining here, though - thank goodness for the dental!) He's digging at them and shaking his head. I have a giant size bottle of the ear stuff the dermatologist gave me a couple of months ago, and started giving it to him yesterday, much to his annoyance. Boy, does he get mad. I started out just trying to squirt the stuff into his ears, which was awkward because the bottle is big and heavy and I can't tell how much is getting in there. Then I remembered the cotton ball trick, so that's what I've done. The problem with it is that he shakes his head and struggles, and while I'm confident that most of the liquid gets into his ears, it leaves a mess on the fur on the sides of his head. And on my clothes and glasses. And on the carpeting on their window ledge. And wherever else he goes when he hops down indignantly. "High dudgeon." Words from some Victorian novel, but they're definitely appropriate. Today, he is refusing to step where I have been pouring out the ear medicine onto the cotton wads, the dope. Poor cat. And he's such a good boy. How come all this awful stuff keeps happening to him?

2 comments:

Adrianne said...

My favorite ear stuff is Malacetic from Dermapet, http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=79212&gift=False&HSLB=False&mscssid=091B8177B6494B7EB3BBE24AD72ED5DE
It kills yeast and bacteria and is made mostly of vinegar. It doesn't leave any oily residue. It does *smell* like vinegar but the smell magically goes away once it dries (really!). You can't really overdo it ... my method is to put a decent squirt into the ear then push down the ear flap to trap it in, then move the whole ear around in a circle motion (makes it trickle down into the canal better). The next step is to jump up and out of the way because the excess will be vigorously shaken from the ear by the hapless victim ;)

What's the name of the stuff you have now?

Scruffyetc. said...

I'll bet it's the same/similiar stuff - it doesn't say "Dermapet" anywhere that I could find, but it's called Malasept Flush. (Doesn't smell like vinegar, either, I don't think.) It does work, or at least, it has in the past - this is our second huge bottle since Scruffy started having all this ear trouble a couple years ago. It's the jumping-out-of-the-way part that I'm not quick enough at; I always have to go and wash my glasses....