Sunday, March 9, 2008

This probably falls under the category of "give it a rest, already".....

but I'm already stewing because Scruffy's numbers have been so good for the last month. Same insulin, same syringes, same food, and there certainly hasn't been any increase in my skill or treatment methods. He could already have cancer brewing in his eye. He could have cancer brewing in that lump on his side, for that matter. As soon as it gets warm enough, I'm shaving the fur around the bump so I can see if it's grown.

Because of my unfortunate need to worry about everything to the greatest extent possible, I'm trying to figure out what to think/say/do - aside from bursting into hysterical tears - if the new ophthalmologist says that laser surgery isn't an option now. Well, I suppose there's really no question - he'd have to have the eye removed. Which I could deal with - it's the OTHER eye that is worrying me. Given how fast this one went from the tiny little brownish pin-prick to this big dark octopus in his eye, I hate to think that I could be doing the exact same thing this time next year. And my cat would be blind. It's not much of an achievement to keep him alive with diabetes if I'm having body parts lopped off/scooped out every couple of years.... He really DID pick the wrong garage to wander into.

I don't know if there's any real relevance to this, but it seems like progress:

Current average glucose test results: (approx. Dec '07-Mar '08)

36 tests .......... 7 days ........... 149
75 tests ........... 14 days ........... 151
175 tests ...........30 days ........... 187
356 tests .......... 60 days ........... 208
511 tests ...........90 days ............ 231

(Stick THAT in your old fructosamine, Dr. K.)

1 comment:

Linda and Wild Thing (GA) said...

No, my friend, he picked the very best garage to wander into. Good luck with the appointment. I'll be thinking of both of you!! Let me know how things turn out.

Linda