Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Jojo Connection




I don't think I mentioned the source of the miraculous Levemir/diabetes improvements here. And I definitely need to express my incredible gratitude to Jojo. Back in February, out of the kindness of her exceptionally large heart (well, not physically large, I hope! ) Jojo took a look at The Puffer's numbers. Which weren't anywhere near as horrific as they have been multiple times in the past, but which weren't good. He was getting 1.25u of Levemir bid. Still a little erratic, and I wasn't seeing the Levemir "hang", for instance. She has a knack - unparalleled! - for interpreting glucose testing. And she said, to my surprise - that she thought that Scruffy was rebounding on that dosage. ( November '07's numbers were shockingly good - and he was functioning - for the first time - on .5u on a fairly regular basis. In December, he had a major herpes attack that threw him off track completely. And I eventually raised his dosage to 1.25. Didn't seem to make much difference one way or another. )

I had already seen many examples of Jojo's ability to discern the solution to these feline diabetes problems. She recommended trying .75u bid and going back to using a smidge of R at the beginning. So, around 2/18/08, the big experiment began. And sure enough, she was right. The last couple weeks of February were definitely better than the beginning. And March! March! Ah, the affection I feel for March!!! And for Jojo.

I had long ago given up any hope of ever getting Scruffy "regulated." Totally. And now, here he is - with lovely numbers in the under-100's for much of the time, and even getting only one shot a day every other day! Who would ever have believed it? Not me, that's for sure. And, on top of all the other delightful outcomes, it turned out that .75u was a smidge too much, and .5u was pretty much JUST FINE!

To say I am grateful to Jojo is way beyond understatement. What an incredible human being she is, and how fortunate we are at FDMB to have her contributions for the benefit of all of our cats.


And for Jojo - a

No comments: