Saturday, February 16, 2008

Is anybody home?

Inside my brain? Apparently not. Here's yesterday:

2/15/08
AM PS (+12.5) 195 fed 1.25uLevemir
+4.5 338
PM PS (+10.5) 450 fed, threw up, ate again .5uR, 1.25uLevemir
+4 272
+6 259

Decent preshot. Usual dose. I have a clear memory of filling the syringe, and even of holding it up to the window and thinking that I wanted to take out just a drop, and doing that. And then I put the syringe in my teeth to warm the insulin while I got Scruffy, and put the Muffer on the window ledge to eat and get his shot. And that is where the "blank" occurred. The needle was in his side, and the plunger was depressed, but I had NO memory of pushing it. His fur wasn't wet. I don't know if there was insulin in the syringe when I poked him or not. Going by the incredibly rising numbers, NOT. I actually looked at the syringe when it was still in his skin, wondering why the plunger was depressed and I didn't remember doing it. I always hold the orange cap in my teeth so it doesn't get misplaced while I'm shooting. (My whole life seems to be a massive, sadly ineffectual attempt to keep from losing things.) I don't recall tasting insulin from the cap, which you'd think would be the disgusting case if I'd squirted the stuff in there instead of into Scruffy. No drips.

The whole event seems, in retrospect, to have been absolutely the same as virtually every other morning shot in the last three years, with the exception of that plunger I can't account for and the fact that it appears that there wasn't any insulin inserted in the brown furry cat in front of me. And that now I'm thinking that any day now, I'll just wander away from home in the snow without a coat and freeze to death because I can't find my house again....

No comments: