Sunday, December 16, 2007

Well, now I REALLY feel bad....

Out of desperation, I gave Scruffy a zenequin (left over from the last ear infection a couple months ago) two days ago. He's now had three of them. And, if you look at his numbers, it's abundantly clear that he's had all these awful numbers because he's got some sort of infection going on. I did poke around in his mouth the day I started the zenequin, and he has a couple of red spots. (He just had a dental last spring, though.) Could it be the mouth stuff plus herpes has done this to him?

I have been trying to avoid having to take him to the vet because he turns into such a maniac there. And then I have weeks of his hiding every time he hears the car keys jingle. I really don't know what to do about the situation. It seems wrong to make him go for appointments with someone he has such a definite negative response to. He was always the world's most laid-back cat, and now.... He's touchy with the holistic vet, and the ophthalmologist, and the dermatologist, but nothing like the hissing, spitting, jumping, clawing and actual pooping that Dr. G. gets. I have sort of associated the start of all this commotion with the last dental, but I don't know if that's accurate or not. I do know Scruffy has quite a long memory for slights and upsets.

I guess he'll have to go and see what the vet thinks about what's going on. And Jojo has really been encouraging me to have another pancreatitis test done. The last one was borderline. He's throwing up a lot lately, but it doesn't seem much different than any of the other periods that he did that. I think that maybe the zenequin has loosened some stuff in his sinuses, too - he's really snorting up a storm in the last couple days. And sneezing. Poor cat. It's really crappy to have all this stuff wrong with him. It's encouraging to see that Levemir still is willing to make a go of it, at least. I really want to get back on the right track with the insulin.

No comments: