Monday, December 10, 2007

The return of herpes


While I can't blame all of the horrible December numbers on herpes, I do think that's at least part of the problem. Within the last couple days, the snorting has started. And like everything else that goes wrong, this is my fault, too - I bought a huge bottle of the Lysine I had been using for years, and then noticed that it now contains propylene glycol, which is to be avoided. So, I ordered on line - buy one bottle of lysine, get two free. Only, when the bazillion pills came, they were coated with such a hard covering that my pill chopper could hardly get through them. And, since I have to be able to chop up the mucho expensive Keppra pills for Milk, I made a less-than-executive decision to stop chopping up Lysine for a while. So, Scruffy hasn't had his lysine for probably more than a month, and here I am, having ruined his good numbers and made him miserable besides. I started the lysine again last week, but who knows how long it's going to take to do any good. The moral of the story is, nothing I do ever turns out right.

Aside from the above stupidity, this last two weeks has been horrible for him. I've checked his urine half a dozen times, and it's always been ketone negative (thank God), and 1/2% glucose. The average on his meter is up more than 150 points for the 7 and 14 day averages from what it had been. Every time I turn around, he's in the 400's. He's dropped to sub-40 numbers on both .5 and .75 units. I don't know where to go with all this. I have been debating taking him to the vet, but that's such an ordeal for all of us that I've been putting it off. This is so discouraging; I'd actually gotten used to those wonderful numbers from last month - not so obsessive about testing, and not worrying about when I had to go out, and sleeping....... Not no more.

Poor Scruffy. I've always told him that he'd have been so much smarter to have wandered into someone else's sister's garage.

No comments: