Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Okay, fingers crossed. And toes.....




Scruffy has an appointment with the ophthalmologist on September 28 to have the iris nevi looked at again. I've been trying to get a good picture of the size of them - the one in the left eye has really grown and gotten darker. I'm thinking that this picture may be the best I can do. He blinks.

We finally got to see the veterinary dermatologist yesterday afternoon. (There was a picture of a really fat brown tabby on the vet's bulletin board - I think it was Scruffy, taken the month before he got diabetes and lost four pounds. How bad is it, though, to not be sure if it's your own cat or not? The stains on the blue rug under the fat cat looked vaguely familiar....)

Anyway, he was pretty good for the first ten minutes or so of the visit. The technician poked around and asked some questions, and THEN, she picked him up and went into the "back room." Where I, sitting in the exam room, was unfortunately able to hear EVERYTHING that went on. Not that it would have been possible, barring deafness, to miss the feline shrieking and howling and spitting and hissing that was going on. But they - two technicians and the vet - were all nice and patient with him. I was pleased about that. When they brought him back in, he was wrapped in an old green towel. Because he'd peed and pooped all over the place. This is the second time he's pooped at the vet. Never had a cat in all these years that did that. Actually, I think it's a sort of interesting comment on what he's thinking about them...... And better there than in my car, right?

Outcome of the exam? Right. I do wander. There was neither yeast or bacteria in the cultures they did. However, there was a great deal of inflammation, and the doctor speculated that maybe the Malaseb Flush had gotten rid of all the bad stuff but left the inflammation. Then she prescribed both an antibiotic and an antifungal. (It didn't make sense to me, but I wasn't about to argue - to have someone who knew what they were doing with him was wonderful.) One of each pill a day for two weeks, and then they'll call to see how he's doing; she doesn't want to stress him out by making him come back unless it's unavoidable. Or they don't want to have to clean up another mess like today's. Whichever.

His numbers have been odd. Aside from the frequent high 500's, there have been a couple of nice low numbers, 80-100, say. Yesterday before we left for the vet, he was 91. I was a little nervous, since it was only +5, so I gave him a little gravy FF. Tested him while the technician was messing with him, and he had only gone up to 127. We didn't get home for almost three hours, and I took him right in to get a bath. So by the time I tested him again, it was almost dinnertime, and he was 486. Could have been rebound, given the horrible numbers his body has gotten used to lately. I am giving a half unit of R at almost every shot, unless he's under 200 or so.

Anyway, hopefully, this will be the end of what has been a major ordeal for my poor little Muffer. Or it will be, once the agony of pilling him twice a day is over.

No comments: