Thursday, September 20, 2007

Definite improvement!

September's numbers are decidedly better. And the durations are much more similar to what I was seeing in the beginning weeks using Levemir. That said, I'm pretty sure I gave him too much insulin this morning. 2.0 units on a 269. Fortunately, I didn't have much of anything planned for this afternoon, so I guess I can sit here and poke him whenever.....

The leg injury does not seem to be improving much. It occurred on Sunday, 9/16, when Burble came leaping into the living room and jumped on Scruffy's back, wrapping his paws around Muffer's chest so he couldn't get him off. Scruffy dragged Burble off into the kitchen, and when he came back out, he had a severe and serious limp. Clearly in pain. Wiser heads than mine (okay, it was Hope...) suggested benign neglect for a few days to see if it got better on its own, reasoning that if something was broken in there, he wouldn't be able to walk on it. But it made me really nervous, so I dragged him to the vet on Monday afternoon. I took along the Rescue Remedy, thinking that maybe it might help reduce the overt hostility poor Scruffy has been showing at all the vets lately. It didn't. Dr. G. didn't think that an xray was necessary, and felt that it was a soft tissue injury. He gave me 3 more metacam syringes for this week. I debated about using them, but poor Scruffy was so uncomfortable.... The first one seemed quite successful. The next morning, he was sitting in the top of the cat tree - apparently it's harder getting down from there than up. But yesterday, he just laid on the bed the entire day. I carried him out to eat, but he went right back in. Even Rege noticed and said he thought there was something wrong with Puffy. I gave him the second syringe of metacam last night, and after about an hour, he did come out and start hanging around in the living room. It seemed less effective, though - he was still limping quite badly. Probably the lack of pain made him do more stressful things to it. Poor Puffer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scruffy! I love your blog!!!