Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Today's appointment

Well, it appears that Scruffy will be getting his melanosis lasered, and in Pittsburgh. Dr. K offered today to ask Dr. B - who was the ophthalmologist for my beloved Black Kitty some years ago - if he would do the surgery. They took Puffy back for him to take a quick look at the eye, and he apparently agreed to do it. (Although, if he was able and had experience with it, which is what Dr. K said today - how come she had to get a protocol from some vet in Virginia?) The initial plan was for me to bring him in early (next Monday, it appeared) to meet with Dr. B, and then for them to do the surgery right afterward. That set up - which I had a little trouble with because I always need time to "prepare" for stuff (to stew and moan and whine and adjust to the potential change) also was troublesome because of Milk's morning medication, which I try very hard not to mess around with. Eventually, we decided to schedule an afternoon appointment for me to meet with Dr. B - I guess I'm supposed to bring Scruffy with me, since he really didn't get to look at the Puffer's eye with his instruments, etc. - and then they will schedule the surgery at that time. I think that's better anyway. I'm nervous enough about the whole thing to begin with.

I took along a bunch of the "diet-controlled diabetic" information today, as well as the eye picture from 8/9/08, but there wasn't any discussion of either. Nor did I get to ask for any sort of summary of the visit again. I did get a bottle of some sort of eye drops that I'm supposed to give Scruffy for several days prior to the surgery. At first, they were going to be steroid drops, but Dr. K said that there was a non-steroid option. Unfortunately, he will probably need steroids after the surgery, though. I'm torn - I feel like I should have enjoyed this last five months without insulin a whole lot more than I have, and despite the fact that I feel much better informed about using Lev, etc, now than I was before, it's still not a happy prospect to think that he might end up insulin-dependent again. For him, I mean - I'm so tied down with Milk's medications that it doesn't make much difference to me if Scruffy needs shots or not. Plus, now I have a spreadsheet...... Whoopee.

I'm scared for my poor sweet old brown kitty. Nothing I've ever tried to do for him that was supposed to be beneficial has worked out that way. It was my fiddling around that made him end up a diabetic in the first place.

No comments: