Sunday, April 13, 2008

What I never expected would happen....


seems to have. Scruffy's been without insulin for going on four days now. (Actually, except for two 0-line unit shots I panicked and gave him earlier this week, he's almost to a week of doing it on his own.) His numbers were way better with Levemir than they are without, but I've been assured (ha!) that they'll improve as time goes by.

Being as regressive as I tend to be, I would be perfectly happy to still be giving insulin. I loved Levemir, and Scruffy was never a fussy cat about either the shots or tests. (It always made me laugh - with Levemir, I mostly ended up shooting while he was eating, and before he'd start to eat, he'd turn around to look at me, and I'd have to show him the syringe and say, "It's just your shot," before he'd go ahead and attack the food.) I do, of course, think that it's an amazing thing that cats can be diet-controlled, and I know how incredibly lucky this is to have ocurred. And if it doesn't last, I will still be amazed that it happened at all, and happy for Scruffy that he's had at least a small break from all those years of poking for something that wasn't his fault in the first place. And I will NOT think of any other reasons why a formerly long-term-insulin-dependent cat even went OTJ..... mostly because I can't bear the thought.

Now, if only someone would invent a way for feline epilepsy to be diet-controlled - I'd have a life again....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lynda Dian told me about this. Needless to say I was shocked and thrilled, you have been going thru it for years with this poor baby and poor milkshake. Praying this continues forever free of insulin. Bev